The Maryland Department of Transportation State Highway Administration (MDOT SHA) has shared plans for the proposed single lane roundabout at Ocean Parkway at the north gate entrance in Ocean Pines. According to the department:
- MDOT SHA is designing a single lane roundabout with channelized right turns entering and exiting Ocean Parkway.
- Intersection improvements are necessary to resolve the vehicle backup (queueing deficiency) occurring while exiting Ocean Parkway.
- MDOT SHA conducted a Roundabout Feasibility Study in 2016. The analysis showed that the proposed roundabout will operate better than the existing traffic signal and will reduce delays along westbound Ocean Parkway (leaving Ocean Pines). It will also allow traffic to U-Turn along MD 589 without entering Ocean Parkway, and has been designed to accommodate future traffic counts.
- The proposed design incorporates traffic calming and speed control strategies to ensure that drivers will safely reduce their speed approaching this intersection.
- It is anticipated that the intersection will remain open during construction. MDOT SHA will make every effort to minimize the impact to traffic.
- A public meeting will be scheduled at which time MDOT SHA will be pleased to discuss this project in person with all interested parties. MDOT SHA will be able to share information that is available to them at each design phase.
- For demonstration on how to properly and safely navigate the roundabout, please visit https://www.roads.maryland.gov/Pages/roundabouts.aspx