If you are looking to revitalize your workout, ditch the gym shorts for bathing suits and add water to your workouts.
To achieve the best results, dive into water workouts with no fear of getting your feet wet with new aqua fitness equipment at the indoor year-round heated pool in Ocean Pines.
Experts at the Sports Core Pool, located at 11144 Cathell Road, have put together a list of four low-impact water workouts that are the most effective.
Aquatic Elliptical Exercises
Achieve a higher-intensity workout than you would on land and take your exercise routine to the next level by harnessing the natural resistance of water.
Here’s the beauty of aquatic elliptical exercises:
• The water’s buoyancy lowers the risk of stress-related injuries and allows muscles to work their full range of motion.
• Offers a total body workout when the machine is submerged for chest-deep usage.
If you’re feeling fancy and up for the challenge, apply a slight increase in your elliptical cycling motion and arm rowing speed to increase resistance levels due TO the physical properties of water.
Underwater Treadmill Exercises
For revolutionary physical therapy and sports conditioning, look to underwater treadmill exercises at the Sports Core Pool.
The benefits of the underwater treadmills are impressive:
• Exercises such as shuffling, walking, sprinting, back-pedaling, retro-walking and plyometric activities are easily performed on the devices.
• A recent Utah State University study shows patients with osteoarthritis enjoy greater mobility and reduced joint pain with underwater treadmill therapy.
For athletes of all ages who are recovering from an injury, underwater treadmills can offer an effective tool for driving results.
Let’s switch gears. There’s a new form of biking known as “aqua cycling.”
In Ocean Pines, HydroRiders are already making a splash. The unconventional workout equipment continues to sweep the nation, appearing recently on the hit talk show, “Steve Harvey Show.”
Why such a buzz? Here are some buzzworthy benefits of HydroRiders:
• The water-resistance effect cranks up your cardio, relaxes joints, improves strength and boosts flexibility.
• Pedaling against the water inside the heated indoor pool will leave participants feeling the results but not exhausted or sore.
Underwater Trampoline Exercises
Here is a look at the advantages of the newest aqua fitness trend:
• Strengthens abdominal muscles, shapes and tones glutes and legs, and improves balance.
• It is an effective, low-impact workout that is perfect for rehabilitation or water enthusiasts looking to have some fun.
Are you skeptical, yet intrigued? Then give these exercises a try. These fitness classes and equipment are available to the public, but registration is required and spaces are limited. For more information or to register, call the Sports Core Pool at 410-641-5255.
For more information about the Ocean Pines community, contact Denise Sawyer, director of marketing and public relations for the Ocean Pines Association, at (410) 641-7717 ext. 3006 or email@example.com.