Choptank Electric, a Touchstone Energy Cooperative, wants everyone to prepare for Hurricane Joaquin’s arrival. Here are some steps that everyone can take to prepare for Hurricane Joaquin:
- Keep up-to-date with your local weather outlets and monitor them closely. This hurricane’s path is constantly changing and staying on top of this storm is crucial.
- Charge all of your electronic devices and have a portable charger on hand if possible.
- Make sure to have a full tank of gas in case of emergency travel.
- Have an Emergency Kit prepared and a Communications Plan at the ready for your family.
- Emergency kit should include: Water, non-perishable food, batteries, a radio, flashlight, first aid kit, family and friends contact information, emergency blanket, and a fully charged cell phone.
- We would also recommend to fill your bathtub with water in case of a power outage.
- Have an emergency route in case of flooding and a high ground point where everyone would meet
- Cover all of your home’s windows. Tape does not prevent windows from breaking, so please check with local professionals for effective ways to protect your windows.
- Unclog drains and gutters.
- Trim your bushes and shrubbery to make them more wind resistant.
- Secure all outside items so that they do not blow away.
- Consider a generator in case of an emergency.
- Turn your refrigerator onto the coldest setting and do not open the doors unless absolutely necessary or you can make sure your perishable food is secure in a cooler and has ice.
- Be aware of your special needs or unique circumstances and plan in advance for any special arrangements
To report a power outage, please call our Outage Reporting number at 1.800.410.4790. Visit our Storm Center at http://www.choptankelectric.com/content/storm-center for additional storm information or go to our Outage Map at http://choptank.maps.sienatech.com/ for live outage information.
The co-op is always ready, 24/7, day or night, to serve our members during any kind of severe weather. At Choptank Electric Cooperative, our members are first, every day!
About Choptank Electric: Choptank Electric, a Touchstone Energy Cooperative, is a not-for-profit, member-owned, electric distribution co-op located on Maryland’s Eastern Shore serving approximately 52,000 members. Choptank Electric Cooperative exists to provide reliable and cost effective electricity that improves the quality of life for our member-owners.